Transgenic Core Facility
Mouse models of human disease are an invaluable research resource in the medical research community.
At the Goodman Cancer Research Centre Mouse Transgenic Facility (GCRC-TG), we offer various services related to animal model generation and maintenance.
In operation since the early 1990s, originally under the direction of Dr. Michel Tremblay, the GCRC-TG facility has been providing high-quality services to researchers at McGill, in Montreal and across Canada, for over 20 years.
Since 2010 under the direction of Dr. Yojiro Yamanaka, we are constantly updating our methods and techniques and developing new technologies to respond various demands from our researchers.
Mutant Mouse Models
• Total gene KO in one generation with 50 - 100% efficiency
• Point mutations, add tags, or make small deletions (frequency 10-30% in one generation)
• Generate conditional KO alleles (no ES cells, no complicated targeting constructs)
• Targeted knock-ins (GFP, Cre etc)
• Recover GM mice from modified ES cells (eg.condtionals from consortiums)
• Test pluipotency of iPS cells
• Generate genetically mosaic animals
• Tetraploid complementation
• For large gene insertions, choose the traditional method of transgenic mouse production
• Random integration of multiple copies of your transgene resulting in overexpression
Cryopreservation and Recovery
Protect your precious mouse lines against loss from unforeseen accident, disease or infertility due to aging.
• Requires only 2-3 males, 20-30 samples are stored
• Inexpensive and rapid
• Can use frozen sample for speed expansion or genome editing via CRISPR
• Can recover samples from in house or external sources
• Excellent way to transfer out mouse lines or receive mouse lines from other labs
Do you want to expand your colony quickly?
Do you need many age-matched littermates for your experiments?
Is your reduced-fertility mouse line causing delays in your experiments?
• We freeze sperm and use IVF to expand the colony quickly
• Can provide 50-100 pups in one session
• Excellent results even with old or reduced fertility lines
• We can use wt females or females from your own line.
• Extra fertilized embryos can be frozen for later use.
Pathogen-free embryo rederivation
Mouse lines shipped from other facilities often do not meet the specific pathogen free status of your facility.
We can clean your mouse lines from live mice housed in quarantine, or from frozen sperm or embryos.